Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- 12 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1-2 tbsp. dill weed
- 1 tbsp. hungarian paprika
- 1 tbsp. tamari
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- fresh-ground black pepper (to taste)
- .5 cup sour cream
- saute` the onions in 2 tbsp. butter. salt lightly.
- a few minutes later add the mushrooms, dill, *.5 cup* stock,
tamari and paprika.
- cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- melt remaining butter in a large saucepan.
- whisk in flour, and cook,
whisking, a few minutes.
- add milk.
- cook, stirring frequently, over low heat about 10 minutes: until thick.
- stir in mushroom mixture and remaining stock, OR add some of the stock to
the roux to thin it before adding it to the mushrooms -- otherwise you
end up with little bits of roux floating in the soup.
- cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- just before serving add salt, pepper, lemon juice, sour cream and
(if desired) extra dill.
serves 4, if accompanying dinner, or 2 if for dinner.